Sunday, 4 July 2010

Peanut Butter Cups

Peanut Butter Cups won the poll this week hehe, I was so excited to make these since they aren't really widely available in the UK and where they are they are so expensive!! It costs £1.50 for a pack of 2 Reeese's peanut butter cups, thats probably the equivalent of $2.75ish!! It's just ridiculous. These are so fun to make and actually don't take that much work, I loved painting the cases with the chocolate but was worried that I wasn't going to paint them thick enough and that once I tried to peel the case off the chocolate would just split. Luckily this didnt happen hehe. I then filled them with the peanut butter filling yum, I didn't make enough peanut butter filling to fill all of the 12 cups I made however so I decided to fill the last two with Marshmallow Fluff and all I can say is WOW! I'm so glad I didn't have enough peanut butter filling left because the fluff cups :P were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! They had such a soft chewy texture and were just so good. My mam loved both the peanut butter ones and the fluff ones and I would definately make these again, another fun thing ticked off my list hehe.

Peanut Butter Cups
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/3 cup crushed graham crackers

Directions
  1. In 1-quart saucepan combine chocolate chips and shortening. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth (3 to 5 minutes).
  2. Loosen top paper cup from stack, but leave in stack for greater stability while being coated. With small paint brush, coat inside top cup evenly with about 1 teaspoon melted chocolate to about 1/8-inch thickness, bringing coating almost to top of cup, but not over edge. Repeat until 30 cups are coated; refrigerate cups.
  3. In 2-quart saucepan combine butter or margarine and peanut butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until melted (4 to 6 minutes). Stir in confectioners' sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Press about 1/2 tablespoon filling into each chocolate cup.
  4. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon melted chocolate on top of filling; spread to cover. Freeze until firm (about 2 hours) carefully peel off paper cups. Store refrigerated.


Homemade Peanut Butter Cup

Whole Peanut Butter Cup


Homemade Peanut Butter Cup

Yum!


Homemade Marshmallow Fluff Cup

Chewy, goeey, Marshmallow Fluffy cup!

19 comments:

Paris Pastry said...

PB cups aren't exactly cheap in the states either! What a clever idea to fill them with marshmallow fluff!! I wish I could taste them.

Maria said...

Oh my goodness these look absolutely amazing! I've had the most terrible cravings for peanut butter lately and this isn't making it any easier! Haha

Poires au Chocolat said...

Wow, what an awesome idea! They look yummy.

Julie M. said...

Those look so good! I especially love the look of the fluff one; yummy!! Love your blog, I'm glad you stopped by mine, I'm a new follower now! Hope you had a great 4th!

Ingrid said...

Oh,man! that fluff one looks insanely good! I've gotta try that.
~ingrid

Linda V said...

Wow those Peanut butter cups look great but the marshmallow ones look simply amazing. Must make some. Yum.

cookies and cups said...

That Marshmallow cup look amazing!
I can't imagine a place where pb cups were that expensive. That's a true travesty!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Well done and great job on your PB cups! It's so much more cost efficient to make your own than buy them in Australia plus you can play with all sorts of flavours too! :)

Debbie said...

These look perfect, I wish I had some right now, even though its 8am!

Chef Dennis said...

wow....homemade peanut butter cups!!! I am in love...sigh....and then you had to go and make marshmellow cups too!! Your killing me!!

shewhisks said...

Love them! Look gorgeous and i can just taste them in my mouth! In the recipe, it says shortening? Would that be oil or vegetable fat? X

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm not a big peanut butter cup fan, but those marshmallow fluff ones really caught my eye. Great idea!

tease-spoon of sugar said...

OMG! They look amazing! I'm inspired. I'll definitely be trying these!

Baking Addict said...

wow. what a great idea. I love peanut butter! Must try these soon :)

Mimi said...

Peanut butter or marshmallow, I'm in.
Mimi

Tia said...

that's one of the things on my to do/to make list too. you did an awesome job! they look fabulous

Lisa Michelle said...

OMG OMG OMG..who needs Reese's when you have these? I love that you filled some with marshmallow fluff. I was thinking marshmallow fluff and peanut butter..a fluffer nutter cup!

Sue Sparks said...

Wow, these look like the real deal, and I bet they taste even better! YUM! Think of the possibilities:)

Jenniffer said...

Now, I'm a peanut butter fanatic, but that marshmallow cupcake looks SO yummy!!