Sunday, 20 June 2010

Seven Layer Bars

Well Seven Layer Bars won the poll this week, I only heard about these recently and the thought of making them really interested me, with a digestive biscuit base, two layers of any flavoured chips you want, walnuts and condensed milk topped with coconut and all baked in the oven..hmm definately interesting! I really wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, would I be able to cut it? Would the condensed milk be an oozing mess? It actually set really really well and was easy to cut, which is a first for me hehe I normally have such problems attempting to get pretty looking slices out of bake bars like these hehe! I just wish that in this country we sold different flavour chips like peanut butter or butterscotch as I had to settle for just milk chocolate chips and white chocolate chips :(, they still turned out delicious though and the smell of the coconut when the bars are baking is absoloutely gorgeous mmmm yum!
Also as you may have seen below my website is all up and running for my business Cupcake-Corner now, the link is
www.cupcake-corner.org.uk
I would really appreciate it if you could visit and let me know what you think please.
Happy Baking hehe :).

7 Layer Bars
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/3 cups shredded coconut
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
  2. Place butter in 13 x 9 inch pan and melt in oven. Swirl to coat bottom and sides with butter.
  3. Spread crumbs evenly over bottom of pan. Layer chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and nuts over crumbs. Pour condensed milk over nuts. Sprinkle coconut over condensed milk.
  4. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool.





Yummm!!

10 comments:

Marcellina said...

Wow, what a great blog! I love your toffee apple cupcakes. I make similar bars as well. An alternate is substitute white choc for dark and macadamias and almonds for the walnuts.BTW thanks for dropping by my blog!

cookies and cups said...

your 7 layer bar looks perfect! These remind me of being little...my mom used to make them all the time!

Amanda said...

My mom used to make 7 layer bars. They are good but sooo sweet! Also, I checked out your website and it looks great. : ) Best of luck with those first orders!!!

Leanne at Beale's Kitchen said...

Hi Natalie, thanks for your comments on my blog post :) I linked my recent post to yours, i'm planning on making banana split cupcakes next week yay!

Baking Addict said...

Thanks for stopping by. This bar looks really decadent :) Love your website - nice and clear with great pics. Love your flavour choices.

baking.serendipity said...

Yum is right! This is such an awesome looking bar!

Lisa Michelle said...

OK..I've been making secen layer bars for years and they NEVER look as good as yours! However, they always taste great. BUT BUT BUT - I'm a stickler for beauty too, so I'll keep trying lol

Aklso, congrats on your business and the website!!! *hugs*

Ingrid said...

I've never had 7 layer bars. Ever heard of too much of a good thing? That's the feeling I get with these. :) You did get a stellar slice. I struggle with getting clean slices as well.
~ingrid

Linda V said...

These 7 layer bars look so yummy might have to try them out soon.

Tia said...

looks awesome! any ideas for coconut substitutes?