Saturday, 15 May 2010

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

Cinnamon Swirl Bread won the poll this month, I was a bit worried this was going to be similar to cinnamon rolls but its not really at all, its much more savoury yet sweet and baked into a loaf which you can actually slice and toast. It has a delicious swirl of cinnamon through it and is perfect for breakfast..welll that seemed to be the case in my mams eyes anyway hehe. I actually really enjoyed making this and the smell of it when its baking in the oven is AMAZING, you get the sweet warm bready smell but then also the amazing smell of cinnamon, I actually really enjoy making bread now and have eventually got over the yeast phobia that hauted my poor brick of a brioche on my first attempt of making bread. I'm really excited about next week's poll as well hehe, I can't wait to see what wins hehe :D. Anyway here's the recipe for you all to enjoy so your kitchen too can smell warm and cinnamony hehe :P.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

Ingredients
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
1 package active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 cups flour
2 tbsp butter, softened
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon

Method

  1. In small saucepan, warm milk and 1 tbsp butter until butter is melted. Set aside until lukewarm.
  2. In small bowl, mix water and yeast until yeast is dissolved.
  3. In large bowl, add 2 tbsp sugar, salt, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Pour in lukewarm milk and butter. Mix until sugar and salt is dissolved. Stir in yeast and water.
  4. Mix in 2-1/2 cups flour. Turn out onto floured board and knead in the remaining half cup of flour or until the dough is soft and smooth.
  5. Put dough in greased bowl and turn dough so that the top is greased. Cover and let rise in warm place for about 60 minutes, or until double in size.
  6. Punch down dough with your fist. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for about 1 minute.
  7. Roll dough out into a basic rectangular shape. Use a butter knife or fingers to spread 2 tbsp softened butter on the top of rectangular dough. Evenly spread about 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon on top of butter.
  8. Roll up dough and form into 1 loaf. Put into buttered bread pan. Cover and let rise until double in size, about 30 minutes.
  9. Preheat oven 375 degrees F (190C).
  10. Score dough by cutting three slashes across the top with a sharp knife. Put in oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
  11. Turn out bread and let cool on a rack or dishtowel.




Swirly bread :)

11 comments:

Shauna from Piece of Cake said...

I, too, have a totally irrational fear of yeast-raised doughs that I'm trying to conquer. Looks like you did just that with this gorgeous bread!

Paris Pastry said...

Glad to hear you've conquered your yeast-phobia! I still need to work on mine... The bread looks great!

Lisa Michelle said...

I LOVE cinnmaon swirl bread!! I have a recipe using a buttery brioche made with SD starter to encase the cinnmaon swirl..I think it's by Rose Levy Beranbaum. In any event, you can see it in my Flickr bread section. Yours looks phenomenal and now I want to make one today..although I'd rather grab yours off the page :)

Abby said...

It's gorgeous! Yeast still confounds me. And you're right; nothing beats the smell of cinnamon!

crumbsoflove said...

Baking bread is the best! Looks super

tease-spoon of sugar said...

Yum! That looks great. I'm thinking I too will have to overcome my yeast phobia and try this bread.

Ingrid said...

Lovely Natalie. I'm baking one of these this weekend with a coupla other bloggers.
~ingrid

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

Your bread looks so delicious!! I love cinnamon swirl bread!! Now, I'm drooling and thinking I need to make some in the very near future. :)

Chef Dennis said...

I love cinnamon bread! thanks for a great recipe

Sue Sparks said...

Two of my favorite things...bread and cinnamon! Your bread looks fabulous!

Erica said...

Everything you make is so beautiful...I must try this bread!