Sunday, 11 April 2010

Raspberry Chiffon Pie!!

It was a draw this week on my polly thing to see what I should make next from my big list between a Raspberry Chiffon Pie and a Tunnel of Fudge Cake..now initially I wanted to make the Tunnel of Fudge Cake, I'd just made a Banana Cream Pie and the thought of making another pie just didn't really excite me, the thought of making a delicious fudgey cake was just too much hehe. Anyway you need a Bundt tin for the Tunnel of Fudge cake and I didn't have one of these so I set out to buy one..only to find they were about £15..yeh it's not really expensive but I just don't have the spare cash to justify a cake tin that I might only use once..so the Raspberry Chiffon Pie it was!! And I am sooooo pleased that I made it!! It wasn't a pie in any means like the Banana Cream Pie, a rich pie crust, a gooey jammy raspberry layer, a light creamy raspberry layer and topped with sweetened cream and raspberries, perfect for summer now the weather is starting to get better yayyy :). Everyone loved this pie and said it was one of the nicest pies theyve ever had and I've even had requests to make it again from my family who are up visiting from Birmingham!! I had mixture leftover as well so I decided to make two cute mini pies :), which you can see below tee hee. Minature always looks so cute!!

Raspberry Chiffon Pie

Pie Crust
50g butter
50g vegetable fat/lard
200g all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons water

1. Rub the butter and fat into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs, do this lightly with your fingers or in a food processor.
2. Beat in the water a little at a time with a knife or fork until the dough can be formed into a ball.
3. Wrap in plastic wrap and refridgerate for 30 mins and then roll out into your desired pie dish.
4. Blind bake in the oven for 20mins at 220C, then remove the baking beans and bake for another 5 minutes to brown the pastry up. Cool.


Fruit Layer
12 ounces frozen raspberries (2 cups)
3 tablespoons powdered pectin
1 1/2 cups sugar

Pinch salt
1 cup fresh raspberries

1. Cook frozen berries in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until berries begin to give up their juice, about 3 minutes. Stir in pectin and bring to full boil, stirring constantly.
2. Stir in sugar and salt and return to full boil. Cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Pour through fine-mesh strainer into medium bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much puree as possible. Scrape puree off underside of strainer into bowl.
3. Transfer 1/3 cup raspberry puree to small bowl and cool to room temperature. Gently fold fresh raspberries into remaining puree. Spread fruit mixture evenly over bottom of pie shell and set aside.

Chiffon Layer
3 tablespoons raspberry jelly powder
3 tablespoons boiling water
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup heavy cream, chilled

1. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water in large bowl. Add cream cheese and reserved 1/3 cup raspberry puree and beat with electric mixer on high speed, scraping down sides of bowl once or twice, until smooth, about 2 minutes.
2. Add 1 cup cream and beat on medium-low until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Beat on high speed until cream holds stiff peaks, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread evenly over fruit in pie shell. Cover pie with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.

Whipped Cream Topping
1 1/4 cups heavy cream, chilled
2 tablespoons sugar

1. When ready to serve, beat 1 1/4 cups cream and sugar to stiff peaks. Spread or pipe over chilled filling. Serve.


















11 comments:

Starry said...

That looks a lot better than it sounded and now I want some mmmmmmm! You shoulda put the picture at the top lol.

Snooky doodle said...

ohh wow this looks so good. Look at those layers.... yum yum

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Beautifully layered dish. Looks incredibley tasty.

savedbythebrew said...

That looks amazing!! I'm not a huge pie fan, but now I want some.

Mary said...

MMMMM!! I love raspberries, so I'm glad you chose this one, even though I won't get a taste! I bet it was super!

Pam said...

This looks great! Love those raspberries!

Abby said...

I LOVE the PINK! Pie is one of my favorite desserts! (But I'm curious about that tunnel of chocolate. Yummmm.)

tasteofbeirut said...

Oh all that pink raspberry goodness oozing out! This is sooo tempting!

Liz said...

Oh my! That looks amazing! I host Cupcake Tuesday linky every week, I'd love for you to join us sometime!
~Liz@HoosierHomemade
http://hoosierhomemade.com/cupcake-tuesdaysnickers-cupcakes/
BTW - thanks for leaving a comment on Flickr for my Nugget & Fry Cupcakes :-)

Jaime said...

mmmm i love anything fruity.

Anonymous said...

can you use gelatin instead of pectin ??