Friday, 30 April 2010

Froot Loop Cupcakes

Ok so I've had a big box of Froot Loops just sitting in the cupboard for a while, I bought a huge box of them when I went over to visit America, I wish they sold half the stuff over here its all so amazing, but I was never going to get through this big box of Froot Loops so I decided to make cuppiecakes out of them :). For the cake I did a normal vanilla buttercake, and then added 1 cup of ground froot loops, the milk that was then added to the vanilla butterccake recipe had had Froot Loops soaked in it so that it was flavoured with them, I then added whole Froot Loops to the batter and various fruit flavourings, which can be seen in the recipe to add ultimate fruitiness! Once baked I cored out the centre and added some dream topping whipped up..I think this is the equivalent of dream topping to represent the milky bit if you were to have a bowl of Froot Loops, I then topped them with Froot Loop buttercream, I made some normal buttercream, added some more crushed Froot Loops and some fruit flavourings and finished them with some more Froot Loops. These are most definately the ultimate fruity cakes and taste just like Froot Loops mmmmm!

Froot Loop Cupcakes
115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
130g white granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g plain flour
1 cup ground Froot Loops
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
60ml milk, soaked in Froot Loops
50g Froot Loops
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon raspberry extract
1 teaspoon grape extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon cherry extract

1. Preheat the oven to 175C and line a muffin tin with liners.

2. Cream the butter and the sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy, this should take about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, crushed Froot Loops baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture, alternating with the milk.. Beat in slowly until just combined, be careful not to overbeat! Fold in the extra Froot Loops and the various extracts.
4. Fill the muffin liners and bake for 18-20minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the middle and comes out clean. Allow to cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack until completley cool.

Centre
1 sachet dream topping
50ml milk

1.Make up dream topping according to packet instructions.


Froot Loop Buttercream
190g butter
150g icing sugar
1/2 cup ground Froot Loops
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grape extract
1 teaspoon raspberry extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon cherry extract
red food colouring

1. Beat butter until softened, add icing sugar a bit at a time beating until creamy.
2. Beat in crushed Froot Loops and the extracts.
3. Beat in red food colouring to achieve that red Frooty Loop colour hehe.



Innards of the Froot Loop cupcake





Froot Loops Cupcake

12 comments:

Paris Pastry said...

How pretty!! I have several BOXES of Fruit loops that I need to get through, so making these would be handy! May I ask in which country you live?

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

Ahh these are so fun! love the vibrant red icing! what colouring do you use for that?

Marcellina said...

Thanks for popping over to my blog. The fruit loop cupcakes are so fun and creative! Great work!

Live.Love.Eat said...

These are adorable...you're just so creative!!!!!!!!!!

cookies and cups said...

Very cute cupcakes! My kids love Fruit Loops!
I am guessing they aren't the Banana, Dark Choc Chip Walnut Cupcakes? I read the recipe and it sounds great, just a heads up that I think you titled it wrong?
Either way they look great!

Romy said...

Hi Natalie, thanks for your comment on my blog! Wow, I have never seen any baked good with fruit loops before! So unusual and colorful... your cupcakes all look fabulous!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Wow that's quite brilliant indeed! I love the colours and I can imagine it would go down a treat with the kids (and kids at heart)! :D

Mary said...

That has got to be some sort of record for the most Froot Loops in one recipe! They look so fun!

Natalie... said...

Oops yes thank you for pointing that out, I used the same vanilla buttercake recipe as I used for those other cupcakes so just copied and pasted it and forgot to take the heading bit out :) Thank you. It is the recipe for Froot Loop Cupcakes hehe.

Mimi said...

Fun cupcakes, my kids would love them.
Mimi

Abby said...

OK. My 2-year-old would LOVE these. Sugar? Cereal? Yes. They're so cute, too!

Sprinkles said...

These are so super colorful! I love them and the red frosting is great! I have included them in our 50 Colorful Cupcake feature at Party Cupcake Ideas http://partycupcakeideas.com/50-colorful-cupcakes/