Monday, 19 April 2010

Chunky Monkey Cupcakes

I wasn't sure what cupcake flavour to make this week, I was looking at my two other new flavourings : grape and apricot. I was thinking about maybe a peanut butter and jelly sandwich cake, I was going to make a vanilla cake fill it with grape buttercream and top it with peanut butter buttercream but nobody in my family is really that big of a fan of peanut butter so that one wasn't really perfect and I haven't had any strong ideas for the apricot flavouring yet. It wasn't until I went out food shopping and my mam bought a new flavour of ice cream..cheeky chimp that our local supermarket is selling that it struck me that I would love to make a cupcake flavour based on the Ben 'n' Jerry's flavour : Chunky Monkey. A banana ice cream with dark chocolate bananas and walnuts swirled through it & this is what I based my good ol' cuppiecake on :). I made a banana sponge with dark chocolate chips and walnuts in it and topped it with a light banana buttercream sprinkled with dark chocolate flakes. My buttercream turned out the best it ever has it was so light and creamy and everyone loved them..especially my mam who LOVESSS anything bananery!

Chunky Monkey Cupcakes

Banana, Dark Choc Chip Walnut Cupcakes
115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
130g white granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
60ml milk
75g dark chocolate chips
75g chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 teaspoons banana extract



1. Preheat the oven to 175C and line a muffin tin with liners.
2. Cream the butter and the sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy, this should take about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract & banana extract.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture, alternating with the milk.. Beat in slowly until just combined, be careful not to overbeat!
4. Fill the muffin liners and bake for 18-20minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the middle and comes out clean. Allow to cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack until completley cool.

Banana Buttercream
200g butter, softened
250g icing sugar
3 teaspoons banana extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
yellow food colouring


1. Beat butter until softened in a bowl on medium speed.
2. Add icing sugar alternating with milk, beat in extracts and food colouring.
3. Pipe onto cakes as desired.




Stripping Cuppie!

With liners still on



Oh dear the liners have come off



Cuppie bares all :O

13 comments:

Lazaro Cooks! said...

That is pure genius. Amazing cupcakes. Magnificent!

Snooky doodle said...

yummy yummy I was just thinking of making monkey cupcakes . these are better of what I could think of. :)

Paris Pastry said...

Chunky monkey! I love the name! Though the inside and the ingredients sound even better!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i am loving banana cake lately, so these would be right up my alley. nicely decorated, too!!

cookies and cups said...

Oooh, these look soo good!!!

Mary said...

I love the colour of your banana icing, and I think I can taste it. Yum!

Stephanie said...

these look GREAT! the look of that frosting is to die for

Nadjibella said...

MAGNIFIQUE.

Jenniffer said...

Oh wow! All your baked goodies look delicious! Keep up the great worl!

-Jenniffer
http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

Lazaro Cooks! said...

I nominated this wonderful blog for an award. Please Check it out here. Cheers!

http://lazarocooks.blogspot.com/2010/04/another-editors-pick-article-up-on.html

Chef Dennis said...

OMG....what perfectly delicious cupcakes!!! I want one
Cheers
Dennis

Lisa said...

Thi is such a fantastic idea for a cupcake. I remember the night I ate a whole pint of B and J's chunky monkey ice cream in one sitting. I couldn't touch it for years after lol However, I could definitely devour it in cupcake form :)

Alina said...

Made these for my daughter's bday celebration at school. They turned out great! Icing was delicious/beautiful. The icing recipe states to blend in milk but it is not listed in ingredients. I used whole milk and 2 TBLsp for 1 1/2 times recipe. I also had to convert recipe from grams to oz.
200g of butter = 14 TBLsp
250g icing sugar = 1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar