Monday, 8 March 2010

Tres Leches Cake

Ok so you all voted on the little poll thing on the right and the next thing I should make off my list came out as Tres Leches Cake, a Mexican cake made with vanilla sponge soaked in three milks and then topped with a creamy frosting! I was really excited to make this because it's not really anything like I've made before and I wanted to see how it would turn out, would soaking a cake in that much milk not make it soggy?! So I set about to making my Tres Leches Cake, the texture of the cake when it comes out of the oven it's quite strange, it was sort of like a brioche and really light, I thought "Oh dear" this cake is going to go soggy, but after soaking it in the milk mixture for a couple of hours it turns into a really dense rich cake :D, perfect. You then top it with a sweetened whipped cream and serve! I didn't have a slice but I tried a bit of my mams and mmm it seemed good, pretty sweet but not too sweet, just right. Hope you all have as much fun making it as I did..I think the next thing off my list is going to be a pie of some sort..hmm decisions decisions..vote away hehe :).

Tres Leches Cake
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
4-1/2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
4-1/2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
1/2 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup white sugar

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well after each addition. In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until whites form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter using a rubber spatula. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
  4. In a small bowl, stir together the 1 cup heavy cream, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk. Pour the mixture over the cake until it wont absorb any more. You may have 1/3 to 1/4 left over. That's okay. *I would recommend pouring a little over at a time until it has absorbed it all so you don't end up with a big pool underneath your cake!*
  5. Combine the whipped cream and sugar, spread over soaked cake. Refrigerate cake until serving, Pour leftover milk mixture onto plates and swirl in jam if desired, before setting cake on the plates.



6 comments:

Paris Pastry said...

Your Tres Leches Cake looks and sounds 100 times better than my fiasco I made a while ago!

Snooky doodle said...

I made this cake once but didn t like it much. yours though looks good. maybe I have done something wrong last time

Snooky doodle said...

I made this cake once but didn t like it much. yours though looks good. maybe I have done something wrong last time

Holly said...

I have heard of it never tried it:) I just found your blog-I'll be following! Come by and check out our new food blog-http://thepepperedpantry.blogspot.com/
I was wondering what the daring baker challenge is and how it works??

lyndsay said...

lovely... looks so yummy! :)

Mary said...

This is one of my favourite cakes and I haven't made it in a while, so it was nice to see it here:)
Thanks for stopping by, and I just cast my vote for your next recipe. That was fun--I'll be back to see the results.