Banana Cream Pie
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Crisco vegetable shortening, plain or butter-flavored
1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse salt
3 tablespoons ice water
- Mix flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut shortening into the flour with a pastry cutter, until mixture resembles the texture of tiny split peas. Do not use your hands to try and mix it, the heat from you hands will melt the shortening, causing the pastry to be "heavy", not light and flaky.
- Once mixture is the right texture, add the ice water and combine with a fork. It may appear as if it needs more water, it does not. Quickly gather the dough into a ball and flatten into a 4-inch-wide disk. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Remove dough disk from refrigerator. If stiff and very cold, let stand until dough is cool but malleable.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough disk on a lightly floured surface from the center out in each direction, forming a 12-inch circle. To transfer dough, carefully roll it around the rolling pin, lift and unroll dough, centering it in an ungreased 9-inch regular or deep-dish pie plate. (Or you can fold dough in quarters, then place dough point in center of pie pan and unfold dough, whatever is easiest for you.)
1 9-inch pie shell, baked
3 cups whole milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Have baked 9-inch pie shell ready.
- In a large saucepan, scald the milk.
- In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk.
- Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened.
- Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.
- In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture.
- Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.
- Let sit until lukewarm.
- When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.