Tuesday, 9 February 2010

Strawberry and Orange Creme Cupcakes

Well it was time to use all those chocolates that nobody wanted to eat at Christmas!! Poor strawberry and orange cremes, personally I liked them, they're not my favourite but I'll eat them, but it's my mam and her friends who seem to eat the majority of chocolates over Christmas and sicne none of them like them there was a huugeee pile left of them..and of course they just couldn't go to waste! Cupcakes had to be made!! So I set about making strawberry creme cupcakes and orange creme cupcakes..hmm now what to do..
I melted down the strawberry cremes and orange cremes and stirred them into two separate batches of chocolate cupcake batter to make a strawberry and an orange creme cupcake cupcake batter, I then baked these and let them cool, I then piped strawberry buttercream into the strawberry ones and orange buttercream into the orange ones for the creamy centre! I then topped them with a delicious shiny chocolate glaze for finishing and decorated them. :) Hope you enjoy, my mam even ate one and she normally has a vendetta about the creamy chocolates hehe!!

Strawberry and Orange Creme Cupcakes
Makes 10 of each (use recipe twice)

90g butter
110g caster sugar
2 eggs
120g self-raising flour
30g cocoa powder
2 tablespoons milk
11 strawberry cremes, melted OR 11 orange cremes, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1. Beat together the butter and the sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy, add the eggs one by one beating for a minute after each addition.
2. Melt the cremes until just a nice paste and quickly beat into the mixture.
3. Alternate the dry ingredients, flour & cocoa powder, with the milk, beating in additions. Beat in vanilla extract.
4. Pour into cupcake liners and bake for 25 minutes in a 175C oven or until a skewer is inserted into the centre and comes out clean, they may look like they are not done because of the chocolates in them when in actual fact they are. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pan and then turn out onto wire rack.


Strawberry or Orange Buttercream
75g butter
200g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon milk
strawberry or orange flavouring
pink or orange food colouring

1. Beat butter and icing sugar in a bowl until combined, adding milk when needed to achieve desired consistency.
2. Beat in milk, flavouring and food colouring as desired until you have the flavour and colour you want.
3. Using a piping bag with a large round tip, poke into the middle of the cakes and fill the centre with the correct buttercream.
4. Smooth off tops so the buttercream is smooth and the cakes are able to be easily dipped into chocolate glaze.


Chocolate Glaze
160g dark chocolate
70g butter
1 & 1/2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Melt all ingredients over a double boiler until melted and a nice smooth shiny glaze has been formed.
2. Dip cakes in and swirl to achieve a smooth finish, allow to cool & harden slightly before decorating.





Orange Creme Cupcake





Inside of Orange Creme Cupcake



Strawberry Creme Cupcake



Inside of Strawberry Creme Cupcake

4 comments:

skideewink said...

Oh these look so DIVINE. I have not been baking much, not even with Valentine coming around the corner, But to see these...MUST BAKE SOON! :)

Jamie said...

SO pretty, I love the bright sprinkles!

Paris Pastry said...

Yum! They look very delicious! I've nver had strawberry or orange creme before.

I voted for the lord baltimore cake, because I have no idea what it is! Definitely not the tres leches cake; I made one a few weeks ago and it was a hug failure :(!

Michal said...

Wow these look amazing! I really love your blog! Your the inspiration to my blog! I was hoping to make a fellow baking blogging friend and was wondering, i follow you, you follow me?

Take a look at my blog, it would mean the world to me if you could give me any tips at all :)

Thanks, the bedazzling baker
http://www.the-bedazzling-baker.blogspot.com/