Monday, 18 January 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

Ok so I fancied making something really different, I never really bake bread or anything that uses yeasr or anything like that, firstly I tried to make brioche...which turned out terrible, the yeast didnt react properly and it just ended up hard and dry..not good.. So trying not to be put off by my yeasty brioche disastor I tried to bake some cinnamon rolls the next day, I've never actually had a cinnamon roll before, the only experience I've had is my dad eating one in a Cinnabon when we went on holiday and mmm boy did they smell good! This time the yeast actually activated and my cinnamon rolls puffed up like they were meant to, I rolled them with lots of brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins and then baked them in the oven, wow they smelt so so good! I then drizzled them with some vanilla icing and voila :) mr cinnamon rolls were done.

Cinnamon Rolls

1-1/2 packages (about 3-1/4 teaspoons) dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
4 to 5 cups sifted flour
melted butter
brown sugar
cinnamon
raisins (optional)

1.Add the warm water to the yeast and soak 10 minutes.

2.Scald milk; pour over the shortening. Add sugar and salt and cool to tepid. Add the dissolved yeast and beaten egg. Add 4 cups flour adding one at a time beating after each addition.

3.Dough should be soft yet firm enough to handle. Knead on floured board until elastic and smooth. Avoid too much flour. Turn dough into well oiled bowl. Let rise for 1-1/2 hours.

4.Press dough down and divide into workable size. Roll dough out into a rectangle. Cover with melted butter. Layer with a generous thick layer* of brown sugar. Sprinkle on cinnamon* as desired. If you like raisins, layer on a layer of raisins. Roll up jellyroll fashion.

5.Using a scissors or a piece of string, cut off slices about 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick. Place slices in an 8 or 9 inch round greased cake pan. Place one slice in the middle and other slices around it. Press rolls down to even out and fill pan. Let rise until rolls fill the pan generously...about another hour.

6.Bake in a 350F (175C) oven about 15 - 20 minutes. If rolls get too brown, cover with a piece of tine foil until the end of baking. Do not over bake rolls.

7.Remove immediately from pan by inverting onto a plate and then tip over onto another plate to right the rolls.

Vanilla Icing
200g icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 tablespoons water

1.Beat all ingredients together together in a bowl until a fairly thin consistency perfect to drizzle over the cinnamon rolls.






8 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

oh my!! simply glorious. wish I could grab one.

Ingrid said...

They look perfect except for the glaze. We need MORE glaze! Ha-ha! Lots of glaze is good, Natalie! :)

btw, bummer about your broiche! Don't quit.
~ingrid

Mireya said...

Wow, you've never had cinnamon rolls? You'd never know; yours look so perfect!

SweetThingsTO said...

I am sooooo craving a cinnamon roll now! They look so good!

danazia said...

What is so seductive about the cinnamon roll? They are like the ultimate comfort food! I love them! Yours look really amazing. We have a local bakery here that makes all sorts of different ones like almond poppy seed, and date apple. Oh and their pumpkin sweet rolls are out of this world!

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in to say hi! These cinnamon rolls look wonderful!

Abby said...

They look like perfection on a plate! They actually made my mouth water. I have a LOT of trouble with yeast so it's nice to see that other people have conquered it!

Aparna said...

They do look perfect. Never had a cinnamon roll myself till I made them. :)