Thursday, 3 December 2009

Rich Gingerbread Cake

Well I've been baking loads recently and I have loads of things to post up so I'll start with this one first!! It's getting much much colder over here, I swear it's like arctic temperatures...or maybe it's just my weak resistance to the cold hehe, so winter baking is definately needed and now that it's into December Christmas baking is all that's going to be getting done!! Christmas cakes, cakepops and cookies galore, especially as soon as I break up from 6th form I plan to live in the kitchen.
Anyway back to the gingerbread cake, its extremely warming, dense and gingery, perfect for a winter's night in with a bowl of custard, my dad got one half and my grandma got the other, since they are both big ginger fans, once again I didn't get a try but according to my dad it was the best cake he's ever tasted!! And that says a lot coming from him. If you're into ginger cakes then I think you'll love this :)


Gingerbread Cake

125g butter
100g soft brown sugar
125g golden syrup
100g black treacle
50g Ginger Preserve
125g plain flour
100g self-raising flour
1 level tsp ground ginger
1 level tsp mixed spice
½ level tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 large eggs
125ml milk

1.Preheat the oven to 160C/140C Fan/Gas 3. Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper. Put the butter, sugar, syrup, treacle and ginger preserve in a pan and heat gently, stirring, until the butter melts. Pour into a bowl and leave until just warm.

2 In another bowl, sift together the plain and self-raising flour, ground ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda. Put the eggs and milk into a separate bowl and whisk with a fork.

3 Mix all ingredients together and pour into the loaf tin. Ask an adult to put it in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.








Yum! With Custard!

3 comments:

natalie said...

i love gingerbread and this looks so moist and yummy :)

Ingrid said...

MMMmmm, I really like gingerbread. That looks gooood! Send me a loaf. PLEASE!?
~ingrid

Natalie said...

Hi Natalie, umm saw we had the same name and that directed me here : ) ..wow I love your work...this is the best ginger bread I have ever seen...I mean ginger bread cake ! and with the custard...just outrageously gorgeous !