Wednesday, 16 December 2009

Christmas Cuppies and Cookies

Wooo Christmas baking has eventually begun...well it started a while ago actually but I need to start posting stuff up or else it's all just gonna come in one big chunk! I love baking around Christmas, I just love making seasonal stuff! This year I have a fascination with eggnog, I'd never actually tried it before until this year, until I tasted the wonderful Starbucks Eggnog Latte, mm mm mm its so so good! So I decided to try and make eggnog cupcakes with a mixed spice buttercream, I had a hunt in all the supermarkets all over the place for eggnog, but no where seems to do the fresh stuff? I'm not sure what you have in America but the closest thing that I could find was Dutch Advocaat? Which is made with eggs etc and that tasted pretty much like eggnog (not as good as the latte of course) hehe, so I used that to make my cakes with and then topped them with mixed spice buttercream and a cute festive topper.
I then also decided to bake some sugar cookies, which I hardly ever make, with some Christmas Cookie Cutters I bought last year and still haven't used yet, this is the first time I've ever decorated sugar cookies so they weren't the best but I bagged them up and gave them out with peoples Christmas cards for a little present for everyone. Here's both the recipes and some nice pictures :).

Eggnog Cupcakes
180g butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
220g white sugar
300g self raising flour
3 tablespoons eggnog (used as substitute for milk)


1. Preheat the oven to (180C/160C fan assisted) and line muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, this should take from 3-5 minutes.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time, adding a spoonful of flour if the mixture shows any signs of curdling.
4. Add eggnog/flour, alterating, beat in on a low speed until just incorporated.
5. Bake cakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the centre and comes out clean, cool on a wire rack.


Mixed Spice Buttercream
125g butter
500g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons milk
2/3 teaspoons mixed spice

1.Beat butter until it goes as white as possible, to ensure buttercream is nice and white for the creamy effect!
2. Add icing sugar in parts, alternating with milk, vanilla extract and mixed spice and beat until you achieve the desired texture and then pipe onto cakes.



I also had tree toppers and wreaths but they weren't as cute :(



Now for the sugar cookies recipe!! Nom!

Sugar Cookies
makes about 40
345 g all-purpose flour
5 g baking soda
2 g baking powder
225 g butter, softened
300 g white sugar
1 egg
5 ml vanilla extract


1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside
2.In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.


Royal Icing
500g royal icing
water
food colouring
squeeze of lemon

1.Beat royal icing with water for however long needed to reach desired consistency. Beat in a squeeze of lemon to give the royal icing a nice flavour and beat in whatever desired food colourings you need.


Holly


Reindeer


Christmas Tree


Snowman

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow...Natalie...these are sooo cute ! Thanks so much for the ideas...

Erica said...

Both the cupcakes and the cookies look fantastic! The reindeer is like perfect! I have 0 artistic talent, so I'm very jealous ;)

skideewink said...

Hi there, thanks for stopping by "Scrambled Brians"! I am so making the eggnog cupcakes TONIGHT!! I gather you are not in the states, where are you baking from? How fun to share baking ideas!! Merry Christmas.

danazia said...

Oh, eggnog cupcakes!!! I love eggnog and in a cupcake is like a dream come true. I did a eggnog bread pudding last year at this time that was terrific! Thanks for reminding me of it. Happy ho ho.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow, eggnog in a cupcake. What could be better!!!!!

Fifi said...

Hi! :D I am a bit confused. When you say "royal icing", do you mean icing sugar or ready made royal icing?

Thank you! :D These are absolutely cute!

Amanda said...

You do amazing work!!

Blessings-
Amanda

Ingrid said...

For your first go at cookie decorating I think you did a great job!
~ingrid