Tuesday, 17 November 2009

Tarte Tatin

I've been fancying making something a bit different for a while, something a bit more challenging that I haven't tried before, I decided that Tarte Tatin was just the thing. The well known upside down apple pie I suppose! The apples get added to the pie dish first before being topped by pastry, it then gets cooked in the oven and has to be turned out onto a plate immediately...now I was worried about this bit, I'm a clutz at best times in the kitchen so I had visions of me missing the plate and apples going all over the floor, or the apples not having stuck together and just ended up with a big mound on top of the pastry..pretty much I thought it was going to go drastically wrong!! I was so surprised when it actually worked out and it managed to turn out on the plate without disastor!! I'm not a big fan of apple desserts to be honest, but my dad and Grandma loved this!! I think if I was going to make it again I would make it using different apples as for me the Bramley Apples I used were a bit too sour for my liking...but then again I don't even like apple desserts so who am I to say hehe!! Enjoy :D

Tarte Tatin
Pastry
110g/4oz butter cut into small pieces
175g/6.5oz plain flour
2 tbsp castor sugar
1 egg
2-3 tbsp water or milk

1.
Work the butter very well into the flour and sugar then add the egg and enough water or milk to bind the soft dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.

Apple Filling
60g/2oz unsalted butter
A squeeze of lemon
5 heaped tbsp sugar
8 large Bramley apples


1.Melt the butter in a 25cm (10 inch) round metal mould over a low flame. Add the lemon juice and sugar and stir until it turns brown, be sure to cook the caramel until it has a good smell and is dark brown.
2. Peel, core and slice the apples. Arrange a layer of concentric circles over the caramelised butter and sugar and fill with layers of the rest of the sliced apples.

Assembly
1.
Roll the dough out on a floured board with a floured rolling pin and cut a circle to fit inside the tin (mould). Lift it gently and lay it over the apples, pressing down on them gently. Bake at 230 Deg C/450 Deg F/Gas Mk 8 for 30 minutes or until it is lightly browned. Remove from the oven, cut round the edges and invert it quickly onto a flat serving dish.







A slice!!


Yummm!

3 comments:

Ingrid said...

It's gorgeous! Not like apple desserts? Yours looks like one to change a mind!
~ingrid

Aparna said...

Looks so good. As far as I'm concerned, anything that's apple and pie, whatever the name, just has to be a winner!

Jenn said...

Natalie, Your tarte tatin is beautiful! I first had this dessert when I was a student living in France...it's one of my favorites!