Monday, 26 October 2009

It's Been A While!! Ginger and Lemon Cupcakes!

My blog sort of got left behind for a few months, I've been so busy with exams, summer, getting back to doing work etc that when I've been baking I just haven't had the time to post up my stuff. I've still been making loads, experimenting with different things, pies, tarts, cookies etc, but I definately think I want to start getting back to blogging again with these ginger and lemon buttercream cupcakes. My boyfriend's mam bought me these really cool chocolate lemon drops that could be used to make fondue but for me, they had to be put into cupcakes! I was racking my brain trying to think of what would go with lemon, I didn't want to go down the citrus road again and then it hit me, I'd never made a ginger cupcake before. Ginger and lemon cupcakes it was, I melted the lemon chocolate drops down into some buttercream to make a really thick rich creamy texture and topped the ginger cupcakes with it...which by the way smell to die for!! It's like gingerbread men in a cupcake!! Yumm!! Anyway I don't have step by step pictures for this recipe but I do have the end result and I am most definately going to get back to blogging!
Gingerbread and Lemon Cupcakes
Gingerbread Cupcakes
Makes 9
1 cup self-raising flour
3 teaspoons ground ginger (I like mine extra gingery)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar

1 egg
90g butter, softened

1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons light corn syrup, golden syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1. Preheat the oven to 330F (170C) and line a cupcake tin with liners.

2. Beat the butter and the sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Beat the egg into the butter, sugar mixture, add a tablespoon of flour if it shows any signs of curdling.
4. Sift the flour, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon into a separate bowl and add, alternating with the milk and golden syrup until combined. Fold in the last addition of flour with vanilla extract.

5. Add mixture to cases and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Lemon Buttercream
100g butter

400g icing sugar
2 tablespoons milk
100g lemon chocolate drops, melted

yellow food colouring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Beat the butter until softened and sift in the icing sugar a bit at a time, alternating with the milk until the correct texture has been achieved.
2. Beat in the melted chocolate, yellow food colouring and vanilla extract. Pipe onto cakes.






Yum!

4 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

welcome back What nice cupcakes ! I love ginger :)
this is my new blog link
http://maltesebakes.blogspot.com/

The Lone Baker said...

Love the flavour combo, they look pretty too :)

Mira said...

this sounds yum!

price per head said...

Hello, Such a wonderful blog i ever read. Please keep posting good blogs. Thank you very much...