Hadn't baked any cupcakes for a while, still really busy with exams and stuff but decided something needed to be done. So I decided to do these tropical citrus cupcakes, its a lemon cupcake filled with zesty lime marmalade and topped with a coconut buttercream, made with coconut extract, and some really bright multi coloured polka dot sprinkles both got from when I was over in America. Manged to get some really good stuff over there, can't believe how great your supermarkets are compared to England, the baking isle is like WOW!! And all the food and stuff..was the highlight of my holiday hehe!! I've fallen in love with Apple Jacks cereal and Froot Loops and just generally everything, I wish I could get some of the stuff over here!! Now just need some more ideas for stuff to bake with them..hmm decisions decisions. Anyhow enough of my mad American food rant, these cakes were so so good and the zesty lime provides a nice balance to the creamy coconut buttercream, even though disastor struck whilst piping and the piping bag burst all over my hands!! So a homemade piping bag had to be made with a wrapper from some gift wrap!! Luckily it still managed to do the job!
Spongebob Baking Cases I picked up in Walmart..in America..Oh yeah!
Cakes out of the oven
Filled wih lime marmalade
Tray of cakes
Tropical Citrus Cupcakes
180g butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
220g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
300 g (1cup) self-raising flour
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons lemon extract
lime marmalade for filling
1. Preheat the oven to (180C/160C fan assisted) and line muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, this should take from 3-5 minutes.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time, adding a spoonful of flour if the mixture shows any signs of curdling.
4. Add milk/flour, alterating, beat in on a low speed until just incorporated. Add 2 teaspoons of lemon extract and divide mixture between baking cases.
5. Bake cakes for 25 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the centre and comes out clean, cool on a wire rack.
6. Core out the centres and fill with lime marmalade.
250g butter, softened
450g icing sugar
2 teaspoons coconut extract
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1. Beat butter until softened and white, add icing sugar a little bit at a time until fully incorporated.
2. Beat in coconut extract and whipping cream until desired conisistency has been achieved.