Monday, 15 September 2008

Phish Food Cupcakes

This weeks poll was Ben 'n' Jerry's flavours made into cupcakes and the winner was Phish Food...which was quite ironic really since that is actually my favourite Ben 'n' Jerry's flavour...mm! It was the winner with 59% of the vote and I was pretty pleased and excited to try out making them...even if disastor did strike..! I set about to making the cupcakes and everything went perfectly...apart from nearly forgetting the fudge and the chocolate chips..but they went into the oven happily and started baking away. In which I started to prepare the marshmallow frosting, I'd never made marshmallow frosting before and was really excited to try it as I love all things marshmallowy. I started whisking it on the stove but didnt hold onto the container properly...and since my whisk was on such a high speed it sent the container whizzing round and round spraying me with boiling egg whites mixed with sugar...ouch. Disastor number 1! Them to top things off once my frosting was nearly done I caught the wire of the whisk in the flame of the stove and set it alight..I didn't really want to risk using it anymore so I finished making my frosting and then into the bin it went and hello new whisk! Disastor number 2! Thankfully everything else ran pretty smoothly and the cakes were super delicious..if only I had had some Phish Food ice cream in they would be really nice to try with it..hmmm maybe next time!




Ingredients needed, not for your usual 'Phish Food'




Beating muscovado sugar and butter




Stirring in melted dark chocolate




Stirring in fudge and chocolate chips




Filling cuppy liners




Baked cupcakes




Filling the cupcakes with thick caramel sauce




Whisking the marshmallow frosting




Served in an ice cream glass!



Phish Food Cupcakes
makes 14

Chocolate Chip Caramel Fudge Cupcakes
115g plain chocolate
45ml milk
150g butter, softened
150g light muscovado augar
3 eggs, at room temperature
200g self raising flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
40g chopped fudge
50g plain chocolate chips
200g thick caramel sauce

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line a muffin tin with liners.
2. Melt chocolate with the milk in a double boiler until smooth and melted, set aside.
3. In a large bowl cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Then add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, if any signs of curdling occur beat in a tablespoon of flour. Stir in melted chocolate.
4. Sift in flour + cocoa powder and fold in a bit at a time. Once all incorporated fold in the chocolate chips and pieces of fudge.
5. Fill liners 3/4 full and bake for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick is inserted into the centre and comes out clean.
6. Once baked allow to cool completely and then core out the centre, keeping the top and fill with thick caramel sauce before topping.

Marshmallow Frosting
2 egg whites
6 tablespoons cold water
pinch of salt
300g white granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
50g white mini marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

1. Combine everything apart from the mini marshmallows, blend in a double boiler over briskly boiling water. Beat until frosting stands in stiff peaks, approximately 7 minutes.
2. Slowly beat in mini marshmallows until melted and then remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and frost cakes, drizzle with caramel sauce.

13 comments:

Ingrid said...

These look good. I love anything with marshamallows!

BTW, I saw your comment on Clumsby Cookie. How come there are no s'mores where you live? Is it because you don't have graham crackers? Just curious!

~ingrid

Natalie... said...

Thanks hehe :)

Urm Im not sure they're just not a thing that we have...which is really annoying! We dont have graham crackers but I think its just that the concept has never really reached over here..although i did try to make my own one time, with digestive biscuits, melted marshmallows and melted chocolate...doesnt really look the same though :(

Clumbsy Cookie said...

What a fun cupcake!!! Must be delicious!
Oh yes, graham crackers are like digestive biscuits! :)

Dee said...

Oh my, these are too cute! I love the fun ice cream topper :) B&J rocks, but I've never seen Phish food in this neck ofthe woods. Love the band, though :)

Snooky doodle said...

These look nice . I like the frosting wish to try it.

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow looks awesome.

Sophie said...

Wow! These are amazing, they're eye candy too! Lovely job. Yum!

Jude said...

Looks fun to make... Phish Food in cupcake form.. oh yeah.

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

hey natalie
forget the disasters..your cupcakes have come out nicely and they look delicious !

Ingrid said...

LOL..digestive cookies DO NOT sound appetising.

I gave you an award, come on by to pick it up! :-)

~ingrid

Romina said...

Dropped by your cupcake blog. I think it's real awesome, BTW. :)

Oooh, very delicious. :D I would like to try to bake this, but I'm not much of a caramel fan.

Kristin said...

oh YUM!!

Cakespy said...

Now, I see that I am a little late to respond here, but I have to say something late or not--they look just TOO GOOD!