This weeks poll was Ben 'n' Jerry's flavours made into cupcakes and the winner was Phish Food...which was quite ironic really since that is actually my favourite Ben 'n' Jerry's flavour...mm! It was the winner with 59% of the vote and I was pretty pleased and excited to try out making them...even if disastor did strike..! I set about to making the cupcakes and everything went perfectly...apart from nearly forgetting the fudge and the chocolate chips..but they went into the oven happily and started baking away. In which I started to prepare the marshmallow frosting, I'd never made marshmallow frosting before and was really excited to try it as I love all things marshmallowy. I started whisking it on the stove but didnt hold onto the container properly...and since my whisk was on such a high speed it sent the container whizzing round and round spraying me with boiling egg whites mixed with sugar...ouch. Disastor number 1! Them to top things off once my frosting was nearly done I caught the wire of the whisk in the flame of the stove and set it alight..I didn't really want to risk using it anymore so I finished making my frosting and then into the bin it went and hello new whisk! Disastor number 2! Thankfully everything else ran pretty smoothly and the cakes were super delicious..if only I had had some Phish Food ice cream in they would be really nice to try with it..hmmm maybe next time!
Ingredients needed, not for your usual 'Phish Food'
Beating muscovado sugar and butter
Stirring in melted dark chocolate
Stirring in fudge and chocolate chips
Filling cuppy liners
Filling the cupcakes with thick caramel sauce
Whisking the marshmallow frosting
Served in an ice cream glass!
Phish Food Cupcakes
Chocolate Chip Caramel Fudge Cupcakes
115g plain chocolate
150g butter, softened
150g light muscovado augar
3 eggs, at room temperature
200g self raising flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
40g chopped fudge
50g plain chocolate chips
200g thick caramel sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line a muffin tin with liners.
2. Melt chocolate with the milk in a double boiler until smooth and melted, set aside.
3. In a large bowl cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Then add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, if any signs of curdling occur beat in a tablespoon of flour. Stir in melted chocolate.
4. Sift in flour + cocoa powder and fold in a bit at a time. Once all incorporated fold in the chocolate chips and pieces of fudge.
5. Fill liners 3/4 full and bake for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick is inserted into the centre and comes out clean.
6. Once baked allow to cool completely and then core out the centre, keeping the top and fill with thick caramel sauce before topping.
2 egg whites
6 tablespoons cold water
pinch of salt
300g white granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
50g white mini marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Combine everything apart from the mini marshmallows, blend in a double boiler over briskly boiling water. Beat until frosting stands in stiff peaks, approximately 7 minutes.
2. Slowly beat in mini marshmallows until melted and then remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and frost cakes, drizzle with caramel sauce.