Wednesday, 6 August 2008

Cupcake Pops

Ok well I'd be eyeing up Bakerellas cupcake pops for a while and thinking how cool they would be to try out for myself to make, searching for places to buy lollipop sticks..thinking of how I would decorate them, so eventually when the time came I was all set..well apart from one slight thing. I'd literally searched every shop possible for lollipop sticks but I couldn't find them anywhere, supermarkets, arts and crafts shops..no where sells them! So after hours of racking my brain I decided that the closest thing I could probably get was Starbucks coffee stirrers..however luckily after ringing around various places I eventually found a place about a 45min drive away that stocked lollipop sticks. Yay no more strange looks from people at Starbucks from the phantom coffee stirrer stealer!
So yes anyway making cupcake pops is actually a lot harder than it looks and it is actually pretty time consuming but I've got to admit I loved them, they are great for a small bite if you don't want a big cupcake covered in frosting and once the chocolate is dried they are pretty easy to store. I gave one to one of my friends for her birthday and she thought it was shop bought, I was really proud and most definately will be making them again!!




Cake breadcrumbs




Mixing in the buttercream




Shaped...cupcakes(mushrooms haha!)




Cupcake bottoms dipped in white chocolate..yum!




Finished sprinkled cupcake & the inside of cupcake pop!



Cupcake Pops
makes 36

36 lollipop sticks
1 large vanilla sponge cake
75g butter *to make buttercream*
185g icing sugar *to make buttercream*
2 tablespoons milk *to make buttercream*
400g white chocolate
few drops of pink food colouring
sprinkles/hundreds and thousands
mini m&ms

1. In a large bowl crumble the cooled vanilla sponge cake into fine breadcrumbs..(or is that cake crumbs). Once completely fine and no large sections of cake remain stir in buttercream with a wooden spoon and then mix in using your hands!
2. Using a small scooper, scoop out balls of the cake/buttercream mixture and shape into cupcake form and place onto a piece of greaseproof paper.
3. Melt half of the white chocolate and dip the bottom half of the cupcake into it. After dipping into the white chocolate place the cupcakes back onto the greaseproof paper, top side up, to make sure that the white chocolate doesn't stick to the paper. Then dip about 2cm of the lollipop stick into the white chocolate and push into the bottom of the cupcakes to make sure they are secured when drying. Place in the fridge for 30minutes or until dry.
4. Once dry, melt the remaining white chocolate and stir in a few drops of pink food colouring until the desired colour has been achieved. Dip the top of the cupcake into the pink white chocolate and decorate as desired.
5. Stick cupcake pops into polystyrene blocks to support them and then place in the fridge for 30mins or until chocolate has hardened. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Hendria said...

They are so cute. Great job!!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

How cute are those!

Snooky doodle said...

i LIKE THESE POPS :-) NICE JOB

Mara said...

Those are so cute...I have done them before but didn't do the pop version, just balls and dipped in chocolate.. I got lazy. TASTE was amazing though.

Sophie said...

awww..these are adorable :). Glad you found the lolli sticks! So cute :D.

Ingrid said...

Hi,
Your cupcake pops came out lovely! I made the regular cake pops and the cupcake bites before I actually started blogging and had a camera and they were time intensive. Like a dummy I made two 9x13 cakes and had a gazillion to make but they were YUMMY.

By the way thanks for visiting my blog! Yours is coming alog so well. Especially your pix. I'm jealous, I struggle to get just two if I'm lucky three good phots.

:-)Ingrid