The cookie voting cupcakes was extremely tight this week, there was two actual winners, Cookie Dough and Cookies 'n' Cream; however I was in an Oreo mood and I'd recently just had Ben 'n' Jerry's cookie dough ice cream, so I decided that the cookies n cream it was to be! Sorry everyone who wanted to see Cookie Dough be made and Rainbow Cookie, which was only one vote behind! I might make them some other time.
So yes anyway I went out and bought my big packet of Oreos mmm, they have only recently started selling them in the UK and only do the original ones; however whilst on holiday in Madeira I experienced the deliciousness that was the white chocolate dipped ones..mmm.. Sorry yes anyway back to the point, the cupcakes!
I smashed up some of the Oreos, stealing one here and there...you know you would too! I then baked them into delicious vanilla cupcakes and was meant to top them with a mixture of chocolate and vanilla buttercream..which half did get! However for some reason the buttercream didnt manage to pipe and frost all the cupcakes..which is odd cause it normally does.. and since I couldn't be bothered to make another batch of chocolate and vanilla I decided that the other half of the cupcakes would get piped with just vanilla buttercream and topped with half an Oreo mm.
I must say that I thought the vanilla buttercream ones looked better..however after sampling them both (that's the only problem of making two different ones..you want to try them both!) I thought that the chocolate/vanilla actually tasted better, it brought out the flavour of the Oreos more. So yes here we go, here is the recipe so you can decide for your self which one you like better :D!
Sugar and spice and everything nice to make baby cupcake!
Crushed up Oreos
Whisking the cake batter
Folding the Oreos into the batter
Out of the oven
Cupcakes...I think the vanilla buttercream looks a bit like soft serve ice cream..mm
Cookies 'n' Cream Cupcakes
280g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
300g white granulated sugar
115g unsalted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 eggs whites, at room temperature
10 crushed Oreo cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 175C (350F) and line a muffin tin with liners.
2. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
3. In a different bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar, until light and fluffy, this should take 3-5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract and then beat in each of the egg whites one at a time making sure that each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
4. Working in 4/5 additions, alternately add the flour mixture and the milk, to the sugar mixture, beating on a low speed until just incorporated. When just combined, stir in crushed Oreos.
5. Spoon mixture into cases and fill until 2/3 full and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the centre and comes out clean.
180g icing sugar x2
115g unsalted butter x2
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract x2
4 tablespoons whipping cream x2
1 tablespoon cocoa powder (for chocolate buttercream)
1. In a medium sized bowl whip together the butter and the sugar until creamed. Then add the vanilla extract and the whipping cream, until the desired consistency has been achieived. If you want your buttercream to be more fluffy add more whipping cream a bit at a time beating after each addition.
2. To chocolate buttercream: add cocoa powder and beat in well.
3. Fill piping bag 1/2 and 1/2 so that when piped the chocolate and vanilla buttercream is swirled together.