They turned out delicious the vanilla sponge is light and fluffy and the confectioners custard is to die for, its so yummy and you have to stop yourself from spooning it into your mouth!! Even the chocolate ganache, made with dark chocolate, that my mum usually isnt too fussed about, she said was delicious! So I think all around they were a hit! Although my dad kept forgeting the name of them, since he hadn't heard of them beforehand with them being an American cake!!
Mixing the cake batter
Pouring into cupcake liners
Cupcakes out of the oven
Confectioners custard cooling in bowl
Coning centre of cupcakes out
Filling cupcajes with cooled confectioners custard
Making the chocolate ganache
Boston Creme Pie YUM!
Boston Creme Pie Cupcake
115g unsalted butter, room temperature
130g granulated white sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
210g plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 175degrees centigrade and line muffin tin with muffin/cupcake liners.
2. Cream the butter and the sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, this should take about 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to the butter and egg mixture, alternating with the milk. Beat until just combined.
4. Fill liners about 3/4 full and bake for about 18-20minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the centre and comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in tin and then turn out onto a wire rack.
37g granulated white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 egg yolks
50ml whipping cream + 3 tablespoons
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt together. Whisk in egg yolks, milk and the 50ml cream until smooth. Bring mixture to a simmer over a medium heat. Whisking continuously.
2. Once mixture is at a simmer and begins to thicken, remove from heat but continue whisking until very thick. Once off the heat add the butter, small chunks at a time, and then the vanilla extract until smooth.
3. Transfer custard into a small bowl and whisk until cool, whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons cream. Plance clingfilm on the surface of the custard and refridgerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
4. Once cooled, cone out the centre of each cupcake, fill with confectioners custard, cut off excess cake and top, to leave a flat surface ready to be coated with chocolate ganache.
200g dark chocolate, melted
125ml whipping cream
1. Melt the dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl either in a microwave or over a double boiler.
2. Boil cream in a pan and remove from heat.
3. Stir in melted chocolate and stir until blended and thickened, place in fridge and allow to cool.
4. Spread onto cooled cakes.